- Electricity To Ground
- Family Disaster Supply Kit
- Generator Safety
- Lightning Facts
- Residental Safety Checklist
- If Shocked Or Burned By Elec
Inclement Weather: Family Disaster Supply Kit
Water: Store one gallon of water per person per day (two quarts for drinking, two quarts for food preparations/sanitation). Keep at least a three-day supply of water for each person in your household. Water should be stored in plastic containers such as soft drink bottles. Avoid storing water in containers that will break or decompose.
Food: Store at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food. Select foods that require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking and little or no water. The following are some items that should be included in your food supply:
- Ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits and vegetables.
- Canned juices, milk, soup (if powdered, store extra water)
- Staples- sugar, salt, pepper
- High energy foods- peanut butter, jelly, crackers, granola bars, trail mix
- Foods for infants, elderly persons or persons on special diets
- Comfort/stress foods- cookies, hard candy, sweetened cereals, instant coffee, tea bags.
- First Aid Kit: Assemble a first aid kit for your home and one for each car. Include items such as: bandages, scissors, tweezers, needle, moistened towelettes, antiseptic, thermometer, safety pins, soap, latex gloves, sunscreen, as well as, non-prescription drugs, aspirin, antacid, syrup of Ipecac, and laxative.
- Tools and Supplies
- Paper cups, utensils, and plates
- Battery operated radio and extra batteries
- Flashlight and extra batteries.
- Signal flare
- Shut-off wrench, to turn off household gas and water
- Non-electric can opener, utility knife
- Sanitation supplies: toilet paper, soap, feminine supplies, garbage bags, personal hygiene items, disinfectant, plastic bucket with tight lid.
- Clothing and Bedding: Include at least on complete change of clothing and footwear per person.
- Sturdy shoes or work boots
- Rain gear
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Hat and gloves
- Thermal underwear
- Special Items: Remember family members with special needs, such as infants and elderly or disabled persons.
- For Baby: formula, diapers, bottles, powdered milk, medications
- For Adults: heart and high blood pressure medication, insulin, prescription drugs, denture needs, contact lenses and supplies, and extra eyeglasses.
- Entertainment- games and books.
- Important Family Documents (keep these records in a waterproof container): will, insurance policies, contracts, deeds, stocks and bonds, passports, social security cards, immunization records, bank account numbers, credit card account numbers and companies, inventory of valuable household goods, important telephone numbers, Family records (birth, marriage, death certificates.