If you have an electrical fire, make sure everyone leaves the house. If the fire is small, call 911 right away. If you are confident that you may be able to extinguish the fire without the assistance of professional help, you may want to read the following guidelines:
- Each home needs a Class C fire extinguisher on hand to help secure their family and home from unforeseen accidents that occur from time to time.
- If the fire is contained to a small appliance, you may want to carefully unplug the appliance or turn off the electricity, but don't touch the appliance.
- Never put water on an electrical fire.
- If the fire has affected your service entrance wiring or your meter, call Gulf Coast Electric Cooperative as soon as possible at (850) 265-3631 or (800) 568-3667. If you receive an automated message, please leave a message providing the location of the damaged wiring.
When a victim is in contact with live, indoor electricity, you should NEVER TOUCH THE VICTIM or the appliance, wire, etc., causing the shock. Shut off the power, if possible, by turning off the circuit breaker or unplugging the fuse. If it isn't possible, call our office.
When the victim is in contact with a live outdoor wire, please notify our offices at once and let us turn off the power.
In all cases of electrical shock, get medical help immediately. Call 911.
Never touch or approach a downed power line. Always assume a downed power line is live and dangerous! Call Gulf Coast EC immediately at (850) 265-3631 or (800) 568-3667. If you receive an automated message, please leave a message providing the location of the downed line. Then call 911 and report the line to them.